History of Halifax Regional
The first hospital opened in Roanoke Rapids in 1912. It was located on the corner of Roanoke Ave. and 7th St. For many years this building served this area with the best possible medical treatment in the area.
In 1972 when the needs of the area had grown to the point that the building could no longer hold all the services needed, a 151-bed public hospital was constructed and opened. The new building was much larger and was able to provide many new services that the previous facility could not offer.
Since 1972, Halifax Regional has undergone four major expansion projects. In 1975, a floor was added that brought the Medical Center’s licensed bed capacity to 190 beds. In 1979, the Medical Center’s emergency department was expanded. In 1987, an ambulatory surgery unit with additional surgical space was completed and a replacement laboratory and a radiology department were constructed. In 1992, a tower was added that greatly increased the licensed bed capacity.
On March 6, 1998, the Secretary of State approved the Articles of Restatement, which changed the name of the corporation from Halifax Memorial Hospital Inc. to Halifax Regional Medical Center Inc.
Halifax Regional has a history full of change, growth and facility expansion. We are looking forward to the future in an effort to forecast the needs and changes that our community will call for next.